Saturday, December 22, 2012

Chicken Parmesan




½ cup seasoned bread crumbs (Edward & Sons Italian bread crumbs from Whole Foods)
½ cup grated parmesan cheese, divided (Meijer Grated Parmesan Italian Style or a block of parmesan cheese put in the blender)
1 ½ tsp dried oregano, divided
½ tsp dried basil
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1 egg
1 TB water
2 TB butter
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (I use organic Smart Chicken brand from Woodman's)
1 cup (4 oz.) of shredded mozzarella cheese (Horizon Organic or 365 brand from Whole Foods)
½ tsp garlic salt
2 cups of meatless spaghetti sauce (Muir Glen, Newman’s Own, Hunt’s Orig. Spag. Sauce or I use homemade)


1. In a bowl, combine ½ cup of bread crumbs, ¼ cup of parmesan cheese, 1 tsp oregano, ½ tsp basil, ½ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp pepper. (This recipe is usually enough for two uses so I take half out first and store in the freezer in a zip lock freezer bag.)
2. In a bowl, combine 1 egg and 1 TB water.
3. Dip chicken in egg mixture then coat with crumb mixture.
4. In a skillet, cook chicken in butter on both sides until juices run clear. I add a little more butter when I flip the chickens.

Meanwhile, combine warmed spaghetti sauce, ½ tsp garlic salt, and ½ tsp oregano. I use homemade spaghetti sauce.
Spoon over cooked chicken. Sprinkle with ¼ cup of remaining parmesan cheese and mozzarella. I serve with spaghetti. We use 365 brand noodles from Whole Foods but most pasta noodles are OK.

I make my son’s without spaghetti sauce.

I got this recipe from Taste of Home 2001 Quick Cooking Annual Recipes.


Feingold Stage 2 (can be stage 1 if you omit the spaghetti sauce)

No comments:

Post a Comment