Saturday, June 29, 2013

Chocolate Granola Bars - Feingold Stage 1




You can make these GFCF or regular. My daughter likes these. They’re good right out of the freezer and hold together better when making them gluten free. I like that they contain a lot of oats. Oats have a calming effect.

Ingredients: 

3/4 cup (1.5 sticks) butter, softened (for dairy free I used 1/4 cup of coconut oil, ¼ cup of Earth Balance Soy Free butter, and 1/4 cup of shortening (I use palm oil shortening from Tropical Traditions or use Spectrum)
1/2 cup honey (any kind except for clove honey for stage one)
1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed (I use Domino brand)
1 tsp vanilla extract (watch for gluten and corn syrup if you avoid)
1 cup whole wheat flour (I used a GF flour blend)
1 tsp baking soda
1 TB ground flax seed (optional)
4 1/2 cups rolled oats (I used Bob’s Red Mill gluten free oats)
1 cup (6 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life, or use Ghiradelli)


Instructions: 

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a medium-size mixing bowl, cream together the butter, honey, brown sugar, and vanilla extract. (I used an electric mixer.)

2. Add flour, baking soda, and oats. Stir until well-mixed. Stir in chocolate chips.

3. Using a spatula, press mixture into a lightly-greased (I use coconut oil) 9x13-inch baking dish. Bake at 325 degrees for 18-22 minutes, until edges are just starting to brown. Remove from oven and place dish on wire rack to cool.



4.  Cool granola bars, and then cut with a sharp knife. I store these in the freezer in a large zip lock bag. They defrost quickly.



Feingold Stage 1


To learn about how dyes, artificial flavors, and other harmful chemicals can affect your child's behavior, learning, and overall health, check out my new book, "All Natural Mom's Guide to the Feingold Diet - A Natural Approach to ADHD" available now on Amazon!



2 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm new to the feingold diet but isn't honey and coconut oil really high in salicylates?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, not on the Feingold Diet. They consider most honey stage one. Clover honey would be stage two. Some people are sensitive to honey though, depending on what it was made from. Feingold's salycilate list is slightly different than the lists found on the Internet. Feingold's is also based partly on members' reactions.

    ReplyDelete