Thursday, June 20, 2013

Breakfast Sausage





1 lb ground beef (I use grass fed beef from www.grasslandbeef.com)
1 tsp dried sage
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
¾ tsp ground fennel seeds (I grind up fennel seeds in a clean coffee grinder)
1/8 tsp marjoram
1 tsp light brown sugar (optional – Domino brand)
1/16 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

Variations: Add a couple slices of a peeled pear diced.  This will add more sweetness to the sausage. You can also use ground pork or ground turkey instead of beef. We just try to avoid pork.

Blend all ingredients (including the meat) in a food processor until blended.  Do not over mix.  (I just use my hands).  Form into 9-12 small patties with well oiled hands.  Saute patties in a large skillet over medium heat with 1 TB of olive oil for 3-4 minutes per side or until cooked through. 

I freeze the leftovers. Reheat on a skillet with a little bit of oil.

For Valentine's Day, you could use cookie cutters to shape the meat into hearts before cooking. 

I accidentally made these once with 1/8 tsp of crushed red pepper and no sugar on accident and they turned out good. They were a little spicier but my kids didn't complain. 


*Adapted by Sueson Vess and taken from Carol Fenster’s Cooking Free cookbook.


Feingold Stage 2




1 comment:

  1. Since that announcement I have been scaling back too..We avoid Nitrates also...I have been making my own with natural ground turkey(Lily for some reason just doesn't like pork sausage),Mortons and some ground sage...She loves it!!! And so do I knowing we are eating safe sausage :)

    ReplyDelete