Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Berry Muffins






This recipe is from Julie Morris’ cookbook, Superfood Cuisine. It contains no white sugar. I make some changes to the original recipe. This can be made gluten free or with regular flour, whole wheat is recommended.

1 ¾ cups flour (I use the GF flour mix from "Cooking for Isaiah" cookbook)
2 tsp baking powder (I use Rumford Aluminum Free)
½ tsp baking soda (I use Bob’s Red Mill)
½ tsp salt (I use sea salt)
½ cup cashew milk (I use Pacific rice milk, or use whole milk)
½ cup applesauce (I use Mott’s Natural or Santa Cruz Organic)
1/3 cup maple syrup
2 TB melted coconut oil (I use Tropical Tradition - order online)
1 tsp fresh lemon zest
1 ½ cups mixed fresh or frozen berries (I use 4 cups of blueberries and raspberries. J I like lots of berries. Thaw the berries if frozen.)
1 TB of palm sugar (This is from coconuts. This might be near the vitamins or the Navitas products at Whole Foods.)

Stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, whisk the milk, applesauce, maple syrup, coconut oil, and lemon zest together. Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix together until just combined. The batter will be lumpy but resist over-mixing as it will cause the muffins to be dense.

Gently fold in the berries, then spoon the batter into 12 muffin cups. I get 16 muffins out of mine because I use so many berries. I use If You Care muffin cups made from unbleached parchment paper. Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with a dusting of palm sugar.

Bake the muffins at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. I usually have to do about 30-32 minutes because I use extra berries. I freeze leftovers in a large zip lock bag. 

Feingold Stage 2



No comments:

Post a Comment