Monday, January 28, 2013

Italian Soup







1 cup dried pinto beans (not in a can)
8 cups of water
½ cup canola or olive oil (I use organic)
2 carrots, sliced
2 celery stalks, minced
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
8 oz tomato sauce
2 tsp salt (I use sea salt)
½ tsp oregano
¼ tsp pepper
1 cup elbow noodles (optional – I don’t add)
1 potato (peeled and chopped – optional)

I soak the dried beans in water first the night before.  Place beans in a jar, then cover with three inches of water (above the beans).  Place a lid on the jar.  Drain the water at least once during this process and refill with fresh water.

Drain water from jar and simmer beans for two hours in a large stock pot with 8 cups of water. 
Then add everything except the noodles and cook for 1 hour.  Add noodles and cook until done, about 15 minutes.  Freeze leftovers.

I double the above recipe when I make it.

Feingold Stage 2

No comments:

Post a Comment