Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Apple Streusel Muffins





I prepare a Dr. Oetker’s apple muffin mix (from Whole Foods or most grocery stores’ organic section), then add to it as per below.


I cut up a couple slices of a peeled apple (usually Granny Smith or any will do) into tiny bits and add to the prepared mix.  Then I make a topping as per below.  If I have apple sauce (Mott’s All Natural), sometimes I add about 2 TB of that too. 


Streusel Topping: 


¼ cup flour

¼ cup quick cooking oats   (I use Quaker Oats)

3 TB sugar

¼ tsp cinnamon

1/8 tsp salt

3 TB cold butter  (Land O’Lakes or Horizon Organic)

Powdered sugar


Combine all of the above except for the powdered sugar, and cut the butter into the mixture until crumbly.  Once you have poured the prepared mix with apples into cupcake muffin cups, sprinkle the streusel topping over them.  Bake according to the box.  Cool, then dust with powdered sugar. 

These freeze well in a large zip lock freezer bag.  Take out and warm up in toaster oven or microwave for breakfast or a snack.  The topping is what makes these good.  Can add that to any muffin recipe. 


Feingold Stage 2


No comments:

Post a Comment