Sunday, December 14, 2014

Turtles - Feingold Stage 1




Ingredients:

8 oz of pecan halves
25 caramel squares, unwrapped (Use Lovely caramels from Target)
1/4 cup cream or half and half (Horizon Organic, Oberweis, etc.)
16 oz of chocolate (2 cups) (I used Ghirardelli milk chocolate and some semi-sweet chips)
Sea salt (optional for sprinkling on top)

Line a baking sheet or two with parchment paper. Make small piles of pecans with about 5-6 pieces each. Overlap the pecans some to prevent the caramel from seeping through. 

In a saucepan, melt the caramel and half and half on low, stirring constantly. Add the other 1/8 cup of cream about half way through melting. 

Drop about 1 TB of caramel over each pecan cluster. Set aside.

Melt the chocolate chips on low in a saucepan, stirring constantly until melted. Drop about 2 TB over each cluster. Add a pinch of sea salt to the tops. I forgot to do this but will next time! I have some Kosher sea salt which is coarser that I plan to use. Place in the fridge to set for about 30 minutes or so, then transfer to tupperware. 

Store in the fridge or freezer. 

We are using these for teachers' gifts this year along with some other treats or cookies. The caramel is kind of sticky but I think they'll be OK not being in the fridge for the day that they give them to their teachers. I placed them on parchment paper in a small Christmas tin. (I did use Kraft caramels for the teachers' gifts because I had some leftover. If you want to save on money, you can do the same.)

Also plan to bring these to our family's Christmas party. 

I got this recipe from www.averiecooks.com.


To learn more about how dyes, artificial flavors and other  chemicals can affect your child's behavior, learning, and overall health, check out my new book, "All Natural Mom's Guide to the Feingold Diet - A Natural Approach to ADHD" available now on Amazon in paperback and e-book! 









No comments:

Post a Comment