Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Best Toffee Ever - Feingold Stage 1







This stuff is SO good! I'm just sad that I never found this recipe before I went GFCF! :(  I am going to attempt to make them GFCF though in a small batch. I can use Glutino table crackers (they're rectangles) and Earth Balance Soy Free butter and Enjoy Life chocolate chips. Not sure how the butter will do but this recipe is worth a try! 

And to top it off, these are so easy to make! Done in 15 minutes! This is going in our tins for teachers this year, along with some homemade turtles and other goodies. 

Ingredients

40 Saltine crackers (I used Nabisco Premium. The regular have corn syrup so I used the Unsalted.)
1 cup of butter (2 sticks)
3/4 to 1 cup of brown sugar (Domino Light Brown)
12 oz or 2 cups of chocolate chips (I used a bag of Ghirardelli semi-sweet)
1 cup of chopped pecans

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a 15x10 jelly roll pan with parchment paper.

In a saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar. Bring to a boil and let it boil for 3 minutes without stirring. While you're waiting for that, line your pan with 40 crackers. Since I used unsalted crackers, I sprinkled some sea salt across the crackers and also added a dash of salt to the caramel mixture when it was done boiling. 

After the 3 minutes, stir and then pour the caramel evenly across the crackers. Bake for 5-7 minutes. While that's in the oven, put about a cup of pecans in a quart sized freezer bag. I used a mallet to crush the pecans. 

Remove pan from the oven and sprinkle the chocolate chips across the toffee. Let them sit and melt for a few minutes. Using a spatula, spread the melted chocolate evenly across the toffee. I was afraid this was going to messy but the toffee was already hardened so it was easy to spread the chocolate. 

Sprinkle the crushed pecans across the melted chocolate. Let the toffee cool completely. I placed mine in my fridge. If you have a smaller fridge, it may not fit though. 

After cooled, break the toffee into pieces. I was able to get some into squares but I kind of liked the jagged bark looking toffee. 

Store in the fridge or freezer. Will keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for a couple of months. I liked that I could make these a few days before I needed them for school. 

Here is a picture of our tins for the teachers. The one on the right shows the bottom row, and the one on the left, the top row. I lined the tin with parchment paper and made two rows with parchment paper in between them, as the caramel from the turtles were a little sticky. I also made some Rice Krispy treats (I did not use Feingold approved ingredients - shhh!). Added a couple Great Value peanut butter cups from Wal-Mart, and a Ghirardelli chocolate holiday square from Super Target. I got the tins from Big Lots. These were $2. They had all different sizes. 











Before going in the oven.



Soon after I removed them from the oven.











I got this recipe from www.theblackpeppercorn.com. They got it from www.allrecipes.com. 


To learn more about how dyes, artificial flavors and other chemicals can affect your child's behavior, learning, and overall health, check out my new book, "All Natural Mom's Guide to the Feingold Diet - A Natural Approach to ADHD" available now on Amazon in paperback and e-book!



No comments:

Post a Comment