Thursday, May 31, 2012

Broccolli Soup - Feingold Stage 1




4 TB butter (I use 3 TB of Ghee and 1 TB of olive oil)


1 bunch of fresh broccoli, washed and cut into florets


1 large onion, chopped


1 carrot, chopped (big carrots preferably, not baby carrots)


1/8 tsp of salt  (I use Redmond’s Sea Salt from WF)


1/8 tsp pepper


1/8 tsp ground nutmeg


2 cloves of garlic


4 TB of all-purpose flour (I used a Namaste GFCF flour blend)


4 cups low sodium chicken broth (I used homemade or use Pacific brand)


½ cup coconut milk (I use So Delicious Coconut Milk)



Chop up your garlic, onion, and carrot and cut broccoli into florets and wash.  Melt butter and oil in heavy medium pot over medium-high heat.  Add your broccoli, onion, carrot, and seasonings. Saute until onion is translucent, about 6 minutes. 

Add the 4 TB of flour and cook for 1 minute, until the flour reaches a blonde color.  Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil.  Simmer uncovered until broccoli is tender, about 15 minutes. 

Pour in coconut milk.  Transfer soup to a blender in 2 batches.  I have a handheld blender that I use.  Puree the soup. I then add about 2 TB of tapioca (or corn) starch blended with some chicken broth or water in order to thicken it slightly. 

This makes about 4-5 servings.  I double this recipe and freeze in individual portions (about 2 cups). 

(Baby carrots are dipped in chlorine and are made from the deformed carrots.)


If you are not GFCF, use regular flour and you can use half and half instead of coconut milk.  If you don't have half and half, just use regular milk.


*I adapted this recipe from www.foodnetwork.com.



Feingold Stage 1






No comments:

Post a Comment