Sunday, October 21, 2012

Chocolate Chip Quinoa Cookies





This is a gluten and dairy free recipe. These can also be made egg free.



1 ¾ cups quinoa flakes (from the health food store or Whole Foods)

1 ¾ cups GF all purpose flour (I use Namaste’s Perfect Flour blend)

1 tsp baking soda (I use Bob’s Red Mill Aluminum Free)

1 tsp xanthan gum

½ tsp salt

½ cup shortening (I use Spectrum or Tropical Traditions Palm Oil)

1 cup Sucanet or brown sugar firmly packed (I used Domino light brown sugar)

½ cup granulated sugar (I use organic from Costco.)

2 large eggs (or I used 1/3 cup carbonated water/club soda)

1 tsp GF vanilla extract (watch for corn syrup)

1 package (about 2 cups) of GFCF chocolate chips (Enjoy Life)

 

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Finely grind quinoa flakes in a processor (I used my food processor.  It didn’t grind it up very well though).   Add GF flour mix, baking soda, xanthan gum and salt and blend for 5 seconds. 

 

Beat shortening and both sugars in a large bowl until well blended.  Beat in eggs and vanilla.  Mix in dry ingredients.  Mix in chocolate chips. 

 

Form dough into balls using a cookie scooper, or approximately 2 TB’s, and place onto an ungreased baking sheet.  I like to use parchment paper (not the same as wax paper).  Flatten the cookies slightly.

 

Bake until the edges are golden brown, about 12 minutes.  Cool on sheets for 5 minutes then transfer to racks and cool completely.  Makes 4 dozen cookies.  (I got about 60 cookies).  Freeze the cookies in a large zip lock bag after they cool. 

 

The quinoa flakes give these an oatmeal kind of taste.  Quinoa is high in protein.



I got this recipe from Sueson Vess’ Special Eats cookbook.

 

Feingold Stage 1
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment