Sunday, October 28, 2012

Gluten Free Corn Cakes



I adapted this recipe from Silvana Nardone’s cookbook , “Cooking for Isaiah.”  These taste like corn bread, in the form of a pancake.  They remind me of the corn bread at Boston Market.  My daughter and I love these, smothered in butter! Sometimes she adds strawberry jelly to hers too. 


1 cup Silvana’s GFCF pancake mix

1 cup corn meal (I use Bob’s Red Mill organic)

2 tsp apple cider vinegar (for stage 1, use 2 tsp of lemon juice)

1 ¼ cups rice milk

2 eggs, lightly beaten (*If egg free, use an extra 1/3 cup of rice milk or club soda)

½ tsp salt

¼ cup vegetable oil (I used organic canola oil)


Combine rice milk and apple cider vinegar in a small bowl.  In a medium bowl, whisk together the pancake mix, cornmeal, and salt.  Slowly add the milk mixture, eggs, and oil.  Stir until combined.


Heat a skillet or pancake griddle to about 350 degrees.  Grease pan (I use Earth Balance Soy Free butter) and pour about ¼ cup of batter per pancake until pancakes are golden and set, about 2 minutes on each side.  Makes about 12 pancakes.  I usually double the recipe.

We top with Earth Balance Soy Free Butter Spread.  Freeze any leftovers.

I had to explain to my kids that these weren’t regular pancakes, but similar to corn bread, although I do eat these for breakfast.   The recipe said to use medium grind corn meal.  We tried that, and it was way too crunchy.  We use the regular corn meal and I try to get organic as most corn is GMO.

I've only used Silvana's pancake mix she has in her cookbook (look for it at your library) but you could try using regular pancake mix. If anyone tries it, please let us know how they turn out. 



Feingold Stage 1 or 2

No comments:

Post a Comment