Thursday, June 7, 2012

Chocolate Frosting - Feingold Stage 1




1/2 cup shortening (I use Spectrum Organic or Tropical Traditions Palm Oil)
4 cups powdered sugar
4 TB cocoa powder (I use Hershey’s)
6 TB rice milk, whole milk, or water (I use Pacific brand rice milk) 
2 tsp vanilla extract (watch for corn syrup)

Pinch of salt


1. Combine shortening and cocoa in a mixer and beat until creamy.


2. Add one cup of powdered sugar, salt, vanilla and two tablespoons of rice milk. Mix until creamy. Gradually add the remaining 3 cups of powdered sugar and rice milk.


3.  Add more rice milk or powdered sugar as needed to reach the desired consistency.



I freeze any leftovers.  This is a combination of two recipes. There's also a recipe on the Hershey's cocoa can that I've used before but I prefer this one.  The Hershey's one is too rich for me. 

We found this tastes really good on strawberries!  Yum!

For GFCF, we use a chocolate cake mix for the cupcakes. We like Namaste or Cherrybrook Kitchen (I can only find the GFCF version online). 

If you are not GFCF and can tolerate corn syrup, you can use this Duncan Hines cake mix below, or see this recipe for Yellow Cake which explains how to make a chocolate cake as well from scratch.





For more info on the Feingold Diet, check out my new book, "All Natural Mom's Guide to the Feingold Diet - A Natural Approach to ADHD" available now on Amazon!

No comments:

Post a Comment