Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Spanish Rice






2 TB olive oil

1 onion, chopped fine

1 garlic clove, minced

2 cups white rice (I use Uncle Ben’s 5-Minute Rice)

3 cups chicken stock (I use Pacific brand or homemade)

1 heaping TB of tomato paste

Pinch of oregano

1 tsp salt (I use Redmond’s Real Sea Salt)



In a large saucepan, start to heat chicken stock to bring to a simmer.


Cut up your onion and garlic (I throw mine in my food processor).  In a large skillet, brown rice in olive oil on medium-high heat.  Add onion and garlic.  Cook onion and rice mixture, stirring frequently (garlic tastes really bad if it gets burned), about 4 minutes, or until onions are softened. 


Once your chicken stock has come to a simmer, add tomato paste, oregano, and salt.  Then add the rice to the broth.  Bring to a simmer.  Cover and lower heat and cook 15-25 minutes (I usually do 15), depending on the type of rice and the instructions on the box.  Turn off heat and let sit for 5 minutes.  (if you use a different rice, you will need to adjust water and cooking time.)


I make this when we’re having chicken fajitas.  I sometimes make regular white rice and mix it with the Spanish rice to stretch it farther.


This one takes a little long to make for a side dish, but it is SO good and goes so well with the chicken fajitas.  I did find that if you use a different kind of rice, you have to adjust cooking time and amount of chicken broth.


With the rest of your tomato paste, you can make chicken stew, or save it in 1 TB portions in the freezer for use the next time you make Spanish rice.


Feingold Stage 2

No comments:

Post a Comment