Sunday, June 3, 2012

Potato Wedges


 


My mom makes these for holidays and everyone always asks her for the recipe.  She just laughs.  It’s very simple!  I just saw a similar recipe in The Duggars’ book, “20 and Counting.”



4 organic potatoes (I like Yukon Gold but Russet works too)


1/8 to 1/4 cup of olive oil


1 tsp of salt (We use Real Sea Salt)


Pepper (We use the grinder kind that grinds out fresh pepper).  I use about 8 twists.

Two dashes each of chili pepper and paprika (optional; omit for stage one)



Wash potatoes thoroughly.  You can peel the potato skins if you want, or leave them on. I like them with the skins on. 

Cut the potatoes into eighths.  Place potatoes in a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil, and mix until all the potatoes are covered in oil.  Sprinkle with spices.  Place on a pan with sides.  I use a glass 9x13 baking dish.  It’s best not to let the potatoes touch too much.

Bake at 400 degrees for 40-45 minutes, or until tender and lightly browned.  I flip the potatoes half way through cooking with a spatula. Cooking time will vary depending on the pan you use. If you use a dark pan, cooking time may be shorter. Don't be discouraged if these don't come out right the first time. It took me a couple tries to get them just right. 

The Duggars’ add chili powder and garlic powder to their potatoes.


For variation, add shredded cheese (I use Horizon Organic Shredded Cheddar from Whole Foods) and bacon (Hormel Natural or Applegate Farms Sunday Bacon). Stick back in the oven for about 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted. For dairy free, use Daiya Cheddar cheese. Yum!





For Valentine's, I used a cookie/fruit cutter to make heart shapes. 

Feingold Stage 1 (if you add chili powder and paprika, it would be stage 2)






No comments:

Post a Comment