Sunday, June 3, 2012

Triple Berry Peach Crumble




Fruit Filling:

1 can (15 oz) of sliced peaches (I use a jar from Costco)

¼ cup brown sugar packed

2 TB cornstarch or tapioca starch

2 cups of blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries (Trader Joe’s has a frozen bag of these)

Crust and Topping:

1 package of Enjoy Life Snickerdoodles (I usually use one and a half packages)

3 TB of shortening (I use Spectrum)

1 tsp vanilla extract (I use organic or homemade to avoid corn syrup)

1/3 cup brown sugar packed

To make the fruit filling, combine the juice from the peaches, brown sugar, and cornstarch in a saucepan, and stir.  Add the fruit and cook on low until mixture thickens. 

To make the crust and topping, combine ingredients in a food processor or blender until mixture resembles flax meal.  Place half of the mixture in an 8x8 greased baking dish.  Pour the fruit mixture over top of the crust.  Then sprinkle the remaining topping over the fruit mixture. 

Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until the topping is golden and fruit mixture is dark purple and thick.  Let cool 30 minutes before cutting.

This is really good.  My kids call it pie.  It’s a little runny.  Seems like it should hold together better.  I think I’m going to experiment with adding some tapioca to thicken it or use less of the peach juice.  Goes well with ice cream too.  We get So Delicious Vanilla Coconut Milk Ice Cream or Breyers Natural Vanilla.

I got this recipe from “Enjoy Life’s Cookies for Everyone!” cookbook.               

Feingold Stage 2 and GFCF

No comments:

Post a Comment