Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Chicken Nuggets





3 cups of rice cereal (I use GF Erewhon brown rice cereal in the blue box or you can use Barbara's)

2 TB flour (For gluten free, use a GF flour blend w/o xanthum gum)  

1 tsp dried thyme 

1 tsp dried sage  

1 tsp sugar (I use organic sugar)

½ tsp paprika (omit for stage one)      

½ tsp salt (I use Redmond’s Real Sea Salt)

½ tsp pepper

½ cup olive oil                

4 boneless chicken breasts 



Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Combine the dry ingredients in a food processor or blender. Place a portion of the crumb mixture in a shallow bowl.  (I put at least half of the crumb mixture into a zip lock freezer bag and save for later use.)  In another bowl, put the oil.  Cut chicken into chicken nugget size cubes.  Dip chicken in oil, then in crumb mixture. 



Place nuggets on a pan lined with unbleached parchment paper (from WF) that has been brushed lightly with oil.  Or, I just use a glass baking dish.  Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes until cooked through.  I usually do 20 minutes. These reheat nicely (400 degrees for about 10 minutes).  Let any leftovers cool, then freeze in a zip lock freezer bag and reheat in the oven when ready to eat. 


I double the above recipe and keep the crumb mixture in a mason quart jar to save time when I am making chicken nuggets.  These are a staple in our house.


*Adapted from a recipe from “Special Eats” by Sueson Vess. 



Feingold Stage 2 (for stage 1, omit the paprika)


No comments:

Post a Comment