Friday, July 13, 2012
Mrs. Fields Chocolate Chip Cookies - Feingold Stage 1
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened (I use Land O’Lakes or Horizon Organic)
1 ½ cups of firmly packed light brown sugar (Domino Light Brown Sugar)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs (bring to room temp by placing in warm water)
2 ½ tsp vanilla (I use organic to avoid corn syrup)
2 ½ cups flour (any flour will do but I like King Arthur Unbleached flour)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
¾ tsp salt
1 ½ 12 ounce bags of semi-sweet chocolate chips (Ghiradelli)
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Beat together the butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. (Let the butter sit out for a ½ hour to an hour before using.)
3. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Stir, then add to the first mixture. Mix well.
4. Stir in the chocolate chips.
5. Place golf ball sized dough onto ungreased cookie sheet.
6. Bake for 9 minutes or until edges are light brown. Makes 30 cookies.
The recipe says the cookies will seem slightly undercooked after the 9 minutes, but that they will continue to cook when you take them out. I think it depends on the pan you use sometimes too, but I had to cook them about two minutes longer. They are supposed to be crispy on the edges, and chewy at the center. 16 ounces also seems like an awful lot of chocolate chips. I sometimes use less – about one 12 oz bag. (Let eggs and butter sit out at room temp for an hour before using if you remember.)
I think it helps a lot to use a good baking pan. If you use one that is dark, you will burn the bottoms if you don’t adjust the cooking time and temperature (lower it by 25 degrees). I got a silver color “air bake” pan that claimed to make the cookies bake more evenly. It works. I also use a cookie dough scooper so that the cookies all come out the same size and thickness. If you don’t use one, make sure you make them golf ball like or they will end up too thin and burn on the bottom.
* I got this recipe from “A Treasury of Top Secret Recipes” book by Todd Wilbur.
Feingold Stage 1