Monday, July 16, 2012

Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Frosting



These are SO good!  Of course, I love strawberries.  I got this recipe from a GFCF cookbook called “Cooking for Isaiah” by Silvana Nardone.   She has her own flour blend which supposedly you can sub 1:1 for regular flour if you are not gluten free. 



The frosting is a bit runny, so I put it in the fridge first before frosting.  Then I pipe on the frosting using a zip lock bag with the corner cut off and I have a Wilson frosting tip I use.  I store these in the fridge or freezer.  To freeze, place frosted cupcakes on a plate for about 30-60 minutes, just till the frosting is set a little bit.  Then, lay them flat in a large zip lock freezer bag.  I freeze mine, then defrost them before eating.  The frosting looks a little lumpy from putting it in the fridge, but the taste makes up for it.  Recipe makes 12-16 cupcakes.


1 ½ cups Silvana’s All-Purpose Flour (or regular flour)

2 tsp baking powder

½ tsp salt (I use sea salt)

½ cup strawberry puree (see recipe)

½ cup rice milk (I use Pacific brand from Woodman’s) – or use regular milk

2 tsp vanilla (check for corn syrup and gluten)

½ cup shortening (I use Spectrum or Tropical Traditions Palm Oil shortening)

1 cup sugar (I use organic from Costco, but any cane sugar like C&H is OK)

2 large eggs, room temp (or 1/3 cup of carbonated water if egg free)


Frosting:  If I’m only making 12 cupcakes, I’m able to get by using half of this recipe)


1 cup shortening

2 ¾ cups powdered sugar (Domino or organic)

½ cup strawberry puree (see recipe) – can strain the seeds if you want, but not necessary

¼ tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.


In another small bowl, combine strawberry puree, milk, and vanilla.


In a large bowl (I use my Kitchen Aide) and using a handheld electric mixer, beat the shortening on med-high speed until fluffy, about 1 minute.  Add the sugar and beat until fluffy, about 2 minutes.  On medium speed, beat in the eggs, one at a time, until combined.  Alternate adding the flour and strawberry mixture, beginning and ending with the flour, until just combined.  Pour the batter 2/3 full into muffins cups.  Bake 18-20 minutes, until springy to the touch and toothpick inserted comes out clean.  Let cool completely in the pan set on a wire rack.

To make the frosting, in a large bowl using a handheld mixer (I use my Kitchen Aide), beat together the shortening, powdered sugar, strawberry puree, and salt on med-high speed until fluffy.  Pipe or spread over the cooled cupcakes.  Top with sprinkles (optional).  We use India Tree sugar crystals from Whole Foods or order online on Amazon. 


Strawberry Puree

1 lb of fresh or frozen strawberries

¼ cup sugar

1 TB fresh lemon juice

Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth.  My son loves this on his pancakes too.  It’s also good on ice cream.  Freeze any leftovers.


Silvana’s All-Purpose Flour Blend:


6 cups white rice flour (preferably Bob’s Red Mill)

3 cups tapioca flour (preferably Shiloh Farms, but I use Bob’s Red Mill)

1 ½ cups potato starch (preferably Bob’s Red Mill)

1 TB salt (I use sea salt)

2 TB xanthum gum (preferably Bob’s Red Mill)


Combine all ingredients a large bowl and whisk until combined.  Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.  I store mine in the fridge. 



Feingold Stage 2




1 comment: